General Program Policy
The IEEE TEMS DLs are the TEMS members worldwide who are leading experts working on a topic in the field of interest of TEMS. The TEMS society financially supports the program to cover the expenses of online lectures and/or economy class travels to/from the lecture venue of TEMS DLs. The speeches delivered by the TEMS DLs should be able to benefit as many TEMS members as possible during each trip.
The DL Nomination Procedure
A candidate for DL can be nominated by any TEMS member. Self-nomination is allowed. The nomination should include the C.V., the recent speech experiences of the candidate, and when possible, a 2-minute video from the candidate. The nomination should be sent through email to 2023-2025 DL Committee Chair Professor Shiyan Hu at S.Hu@soton.ac.uk.
The DL Selection Criteria
The selection of DL speakers will be mainly based on the technical leadership and reputation of the nominees, while the successful candidates should meet the following basic expectations:
- Full professor/Associate Professor, if academic, or recognized technical expert, if from industry (e.g., the leadership of national/international working groups, standard development, or large industry)
- 5 years of continuous active TEMS membership at the time of nomination
- At least 3 invited lectures to TEMS chapters or talks in TEMS conferences. When possible, the candidate should provide a 2-minute video of his/her topic(s) which can be used to promote the talk as well as assess his/her presentation skill
- The DL committee, at its discretion and based on consensus, is empowered to make an exception to the above criteria for the purpose of appointing distinguished lecturers
Term and Renewal of DL
- Distinguished Lecturers are appointed to a term of three years
- It can be renewed for an additional three-year term at the discretion of the DL Committee, based on the performance in his/her first term