After going through the whole COVID-19 situation and witnessing the collapse of the global economy, the last few months seem like a long nightmare.
I don’t think anyone could have predicted that our life would change so much in such a short period of time.
And today, it feels like we have awakened in a new world.
I would like to emphasise that first and foremost, we are a community and we are here to support each other despite the challenges being faced. We are strong together and are fortunate to be able to stay connected through technology and innovative means.
During these trying times we continue to share insights, update each other, check-in, and hold virtual meetings. Much progress has been made.
Talking about progress, I am delighted to announce the following appointments have recently been confirmed by the IEEE TEMS Board of Governors:
- Dr. Sudeendra Koushik to the position of VP Conference
- Dr. Rich Evans to the position of VP Technical Activities
- Dr. Eduardo Ahumada Tello and Mr. Mohamed Aboud as Member at Large.
I would like to thank Brendan Galbraith for his dedications and contributions to IEEE TEMS. Due to his heavy workload and family commitments, Brendan was not able to continue with the position of VP Technical Activities and member of Board of Governors. Brendan indicated that he remained active in the IEEE TEMS’ community.
Recently, we also launched the Professional and Educational Activities Committee (PEAC) which shall provide leadership in TEMS for activities related to education, as well professional training for TEMS’ focus areas.
This committee is comprised of industry and academic leaders from our community:
- Dr. Shiyan Hu, Professor and Chair in Cyber-Physical System Security at University of Southampton and Vice Chair of International Advisory Board of Institute of Cyber Science and Technology at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. (Chair)
- Dr. Geoff Simmons, Professor at Ulster University Business School, Ulster University
- Dr. Elif Kongar, Professor of Technology Management and Mechanical Engineering, and Chair of the Technology Management Department at the School of Engineering, University of Bridgeport
- Ms. Barbara Porter, CTO of Fragrance.com
- Ms. Aisha Nazia, Partnership Manager, Setu
- Dr. Gustavo Giannattasio, Member at Large, IEEE TEMS
Please join me in welcoming these members to the IEEE TEMS’ leadership team.
Lastly, I would like to share great news about our finances. In May, IEEE FinCom (Finance Committee) declared that IEEE TEMS has achieved financial stability by being profitable for the past two years. I would like to thank Michael Condry, Past President and the AdCom members of the past years who helped us establish a solid financial foundation to build our future successes on.
But most importantly, thanks to all our members and volunteers who have readily contributed to the activities and initiatives of TEMS.