- India Police Hackathon 2019 is organised by Karnataka State Police & co-hosted by R V College of Engineering.
- Knowledge Partner – IEEE.
- IEEE Mentors & Jury, domain experts with RVCE Faculty constitute the Core Team.
- Innovative Problem Statements to challenge your Coding Skills.
- Pick up the challenge to provide a Prototype. Then graduate to a Product.
- Facilitate Police find technical solutions to change the Policing landscape.
- Set to provide the best & most purposeful Hackathon Ecosystem.
- Beginning of Police Technology Partnership at a dynamic and real time level.
Find the photo of a missing person, from police database or a string of other official databases or from social media platforms and internet in general. Your task is to develop an app to capture a photo and search for the same on official websites / social media websites / internet using an optimized facial recognition algorithm.
MoRTH Data Analysis
In India itself about eighty thousand people are killed in road crashes every year which is thirteen percent of the total fatality all over the world. Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) monitors and regulates the road transport efficiency system in India, releasing reports of accidents due to various conditions. Road Accident recording and reporting formats have been recently changed. There are 19 reports in all now and the data sets related to accidents with various general parameters will be provided to you.
What is the interplay of different causes / factors and concomitant impact? Can we find awareness – accident connect? What correlations can be established? Is there any chance of predictions? Can the tool guide the driver in any way? Based on the data points in these reports, develop a Data Analytical Tool (Web App or Mobile) that would help reduce road accidents.
Unified Communication App
The police department is looking for a user-friendly app to share their thoughts, media, information and ideas just like you do on WhatsApp! It should be a complete official communication tool for the Police. It can later be scaled into different specializations depending on the needs of various internal departments. It can also be interfaced with official databases based on specific access and privileges.
This being the final objective, the coding fraternity is requested to facilitate creating an app that can share all media forms across all contacts in general and specific requirements demanded. Features like location sharing must be enabled which provides the concept of time and space for Police tasks. And on the lighter side it should take care of any recreational activity or share a joke, the app must be able to do that.
Centralised Standard Beat Management Solution
Each police station’s jurisdiction is divided into beats for the performance of its core policing functions. Beat constable is the main resource performing this task. The presence of the beat constable and the way he performs is at the base of policing.
The beat system is designed to ensure the same. The gaps still remain humungous. Beat is served at a particular time of the month / day / night depending on the frequency / nature / type of crime. It should take care of surveillance of criminal elements of all types, gather information on the criminal activities in the area and take action in that Beat. What we are looking for is a centralised beat management tool to be assigned to the Station House Officer to ensure better beat monitoring system to reduce crime rate in the respective beats based on beat crime data patterns, cumulatively Police Station in general. Scaling it further, the Circle Police Inspector, the DySP and the SP of the district would be able to utilize this tool for centralised control, monitoring, supervision, strategizing and decision making.
Connecting Online presence for OSINT and Investigation
Data in the public domain can throw up an Online Presence Matrix of an individual / suspect / criminal / foreign agent, which can provide valuable clues to investigation. The churning of the open source with an ideal mix of technology and domain will throw up what is popularly called OSINT – Open Source Intelligence. From a given input, data, name or photograph, a digital footprint of the person must be must be established by collating all information available on the web. The capability to understand the nature of information available in different open databases, social media platforms and the specific police requirements will facilitate the creation of this tool. In an iterative manner it can be made robust to meet all our requirements.
- You need to register your team at the provided link.
- You are required to select a problem statement from the given five problem statements.
- You need fill all the mandatory fields related to your problem statement in the registration form.
- You are required to submit a synopsis of your problem statement in the form.
- Ideas submitted by the teams will be reviewed and shortlisted.
- Shortlisted teams will be called for hackathon.
- Top hack teams would battle it out during the live hackathon stage at R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore premises on 16th and 17th November’19
- Hackathon begins at 8am on 16th November’19 and continues for 36 hours
- Novelty of the application
- Design and technical aspects of the application
- Usability of application
- Potential business or social impact of the application
RULES AND TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The developers can participate in a team of minimum 3 members and a maximum 5 members.
- The developers can come as a team and register
- This hackathon has two phases:
- Phase 1 – Online Registration and Idea submission
- Phase 2 – Hackathon (on-site event)
- For more details, please refer to the ‘Submission’ section.
- Phase 1, Online Registration, of this hackathon starts on 04-Nov-2019 and ends at 12-Nov-2019 11:59 PM
- Phase 2, the Hackathon event,
- Starts at 8:00 AM on 16-Nov-2019 and
- Ends at 10:00 PM on 17-Nov-2019
- If selected for this phase, your team will be required to be present for the start time at the Venue (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore).
- During Phase 2, the food, refreshments, internet facility, beds for rest (common space) and sanitation facilities will be made available for the entire duration (day or night).
- Separate resting accommodations shall be made for men and women.
- Other than (10) and (11), no other facilities like accommodation, transportation, etc, will be provided.
- The developer has to choose one of the 5 problem statements published only.
- Once the hackathon starts, developers can submit their hack, as many times they desire. The last hack submission shall be considered as the final submission.
- Developers are expected to come up with new and innovative ideas. Any idea or code copied from somewhere (except the open source libraries) gets disqualified.
- The solutions must be designed and developed entirely during the Hackathon duration at the venue.
- Developers may use open source libraries and other freely available systems / services such as development platforms, testing tools, Google Maps, Facebook Connect, Twitter feeds etc
- The intellectual property of your works belongs to Karnataka State Police and IEEE.
- Plagiarism and copyright violations are strictly prohibited and will immediately invalidate your entry
- By participating in the hackathon, you agree to the terms and conditions of Karnataka State Police.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The Promoter of this Hackathon(event) is “Karnataka State Police (KSP)” having its office at Police Computer Wing, 1st Gate, 7th Floor, M.S. Building, Bangalore, Karnataka – 560001. For the purposes of this event, Karnataka State Police has partnered with IEEE having its office at 501, Brigade Gateway World Trade Center, 26/1, Dr Rajkumar Road, Malleshwaram, Bengaluru, Karnataka – 560 055 and R V College of Engineering having its office at Mysore Rd, RV Vidyaniketan Post, Bengaluru, Karnataka – 560 059 for the purposes of hosting the event, receiving applications and such other matters that may be necessary for successfully organizing this event.
- By submitting your entry, you (the “Developer”) hereby acknowledge that you have read and understood, and hereby agree to all the Terms & Conditions of Entry (“Terms”) outlined below, including all amendments, additions, replacements and modifications hereto as may be made from time to time by the Promoter.
- You may enter the contest by submitting a code-based application (“code”) in any or more of the following problem statements along with registering and submitting forms with your personal details (“Personal Details”), only during the contest period between 04 November 2019 and 17 November 2019 (India time).
- Facial Recognition
- MORTH data analysis
- Unified Communication App
- Centralised standard beat management system
- Connecting online presence for OSINT and Investigation
- In order to be eligible for the contest, the registration entries must be received by the KSP no later than 12th November, 2019 (11:59 PM IST) and the completed hack submissions be received by KSP latest by 08:00 PM IST on the last day of the contest (17th November, 2019). For the avoidance of doubt, submissions will be deemed to have been received by the Promoter when accepted by KSP web server or system host.
- This “Hackathon Event” held by the Promoter is open to persons residing and having a permanent address in India only. Any application received from others outside India will not be considered for prizes.
- Employees/Associates of the Promoter and the Promoter’s subsidiaries, affiliates, representative offices, authorized agencies, resellers and principal sponsors and the immediate families of such employees/associates are not eligible to participate in the Hackathon Event.
- Developers must submit their code in accordance with the “Hackathon Event” problem statements.
- The Developers hereby
- agree that the Promoter, its affiliates and partners reserve the right to use all codes and biographies submitted by the Developers for the “Hackathon Event” for the purposes of evaluation, promotion and any other purpose that the Promoter deems fit to the extent permitted by law, including without limitations for publicity purposes and communications related to the “Hackathon Event,”
- grant to the Promoter, its affiliates and partners a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and non-exclusive license to use the copyright and all other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in such code(s) for such purposes.
- The Developers also agree in so far as it is permitted by law to waive all moral rights in the codes submitted including the right of attribution of authorship for the aforementioned purposes. “affiliate” shall mean, with respect to a specified entity, any entity which directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with the specified entity in a manner that such entity has power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of the specified entity, whether through the ownership of voting shares, by contract or otherwise.
- Late, lost, misdirected, incomplete, illegible or indecipherable entries will not be accepted and no responsibility will be assumed by the Promoter for such entries.
- There are no limits on the number of submissions by a single applicant for this contest. Selection is subject to the Promoter’s discretion.
- By submitting an entry for participation in the “Hackathon Event”, all winners consent to the public disclosure of their Personal Details including names, identification, codes, images and/or photographs for publicity purposes and to otherwise participate in the publicity activities of the Promoter in relation to the “Hackathon Event”, without payment or compensation therefore.
- To participate in the Hackathon event, each Developer must fully complete the online contest form. The Developer is prohibited from entering personal URLs in their profile entry to this contest. Any Developer who does not furnish the required details will be disqualified. The Developers warrant that the information, details and particulars submitted by him/her to the Promoter are true, accurate and complete. Incorrect or incomplete entries may be disqualified from the “Hackathon Event”.
- The Developer is prohibited from submitting to this contest any codes, graphics, images or any material for which he/she is not the sole and rightful owner. In the event that any third party alleges that any such material submitted by the Developer infringes the copyright or other proprietary right of such third party, the Developer agrees to indemnify the Promoter from and against any and all loss, damage, liability and costs resulting therefrom.
- All submitted materials are non-returnable.
- High-resolution source files of the codes in editable form must be provided to the Promoter.
- The Developer warrants that:
- He/she has not licensed or assigned the copyright and/or any other intellectual property rights for the submitted code to any third party anywhere in the world;
- He/she is the sole legal and beneficial owner of all intellectual property rights to the code;
- The Promoter, partners and affiliates are allowed to edit and reproduce the codes, images and any material submitted by the Developers purely for internal evaluation and representation purposes without prior notice to the Developers;
- He/she will not upload or otherwise transfer files that contain material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy or confidentiality) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents;
- He/she will not upload or otherwise transfer files that contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, backdoors, time bombs, spyware, adware, corrupted files, or any file that may disable, erase, or otherwise damage the operation of another computer;
- He/she will not provide false or inaccurate information pertaining to the origin or source of materials contained in a file that is uploaded;
- The Promoter is not responsible for any copyright violations and cannot guarantee the legality of the codes, images or material entered in the contest or displayed on its website or online or offline communications.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any submissions it deems inappropriate and remove the submissions from the campaign site.
- False and/or deceptive entries or acts shall render Developers’ entries ineligible.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any code submission that includes any logo of, text mentioning, endorsement of, including company or product, of any organization from participating in the “Hackathon Event” and appearing on the campaign site.
- To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter will not be held personally liable for any damages of any kind including, without limitation, direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damage arising out of usage of the materials provided by Promoter as part of the “Hackathon Event”.
- The Promoter is not responsible for the license usage of the hardware and software that Developers use to produce or create the codes that are submitted.
- The contest is a game of skill; chance plays no part in the outcome. Eligible entries will be uploaded to [the campaign website] and will be evaluated and judged by a panel of judges determined by the Promoter. The panel of judges will determine which is the best code per Themes based on the creativity and originality of the submissions.
- The decisions made by the Promoter and/or its appointed judges are final and binding in all manners and no appeals shall be entertained for any reasons whatsoever. The Promoter and/or its appointed judges reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to determine there are no winners or fewer than the maximum number of winners.
- The winners will also be announced on the website at least 14 days after the winners have been selected. The Promoter reserves the right to post the Winners’ names on the Internet.
- Prizes are to be collected as indicated in the notification to winners.
- All prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and non-exchangeable for cash, and credit, and are subject to any terms and conditions as may be imposed by the prize sponsors. Promoter reserves the right to replace any prize with another of equivalent value without notice. Promoter accepts no responsibility for any variation in the prize values.
- All ancillary costs and expenses, duties, value added taxes or tax liability incurred by the winner as a result of winning or using the prize are the sole responsibility of the winners. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any taxes (such as income tax) that may arise from the winning of the prize. The Promoter may deduct the TDS as applicable from the prize money and pay the remaining of the prize money to the Winners. The Developer should seek an independent financial advice on this regard.
- The Promoter makes no warranty, either express or implied, regarding the campaign website or any of its content, including but not limited to, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Promoter does not warrant that the content and delivery of the website shall be free from errors, bugs or viruses, uninterrupted, or repairable if damaged or impaired.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, cloud platforms, tools or providers, computer equipment, software, technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, (including but not limited to) any injury or damage to Developer’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered (including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss), or for personal injury suffered or sustained, as a result of taking any of the prizes, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- The Developer(s) (including his or her or their heirs, executor and/or administrators) hereby agree to fully indemnify and hold the Promoter and each of the Promoter’s representative offices, authorized agencies and sponsors, Partners, affiliates and the directors, officers, employees and assignees thereof (“the Indemnified Parties”) harmless from and against any and all claims, loss or damage (including but not limited to economic loss, damage to any property or injury to or death of any person and any legal costs) that may be suffered or incurred by any of the Indemnified Parties arising whether directly or indirectly from:
- any negligent act or omission or willful default, misconduct or fraud of the Developer;
- any action, claim, loss, damage, cost and expense whatsoever brought against, suffered or incurred arising from or in connection with any breach of the terms and conditions hereunder by the Developer.
- The Promoter collects the Developers’ Personal Details in order to conduct the contest, and may pass that information to its related bodies, Partners, Affiliates, corporate and agencies assisting with the contest, which may be outside India. If the information requested is not provided, the Developer may not participate in the contest.
- Notwithstanding anything in these terms and conditions, The Promoter reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to:
- cancel or modify the “Hackathon Event”, or any part thereof;
- determine and/or amend, by addition to, deletion from or variation of, these terms and conditions without prior notification, including but not limited to, the eligibility terms and criteria for the campaign and the selection of winners;
- Substitute, withdraw or cancel any prize without prior notice and without having to disclose any reason therefor and without any payment or compensation whatsoever.
- Neither the Promoter nor the Promoter’s representative offices, Partners, Affiliates, authorized agencies or any other associated sponsors or partners associated with the “Hackathon Event” shall be held liable for any failure or omission to carry out the “Hackathon Event” in accordance with these terms and conditions or for any loss or damage suffered by the Developer if such failure, omission, loss or damage arises out of or in connection with any event of force majeure, including without limitation any calamity or conditions, acts of God, war or warlike hostilities, civil commotion, riots, blockades, embargoes, sabotages, strikes, fires, lockouts, shortages of material or labour, terrorist activity, epidemic, quarantine restrictions, health risk or any defect, failure, or any other occurrence beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, Promoter’s representative offices, authorized agencies and any sponsor associated with the “Hackathon Event”, as the case may be.
- To the extent permitted by local laws, the “Hackathon Event” and these terms and conditions shall be governed by and constructed in accordance with the laws of India. The Developer submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Bangalore in the determination of any matter or dispute arising in connection therewith.
Do I need to pay any money to register for the Hackathon?Do I need to have any specific qualifications to be a participant for the Hackathon?Since there is no specific technology mentioned, are there any restrictions on using number of pre-built libraries?Will mentors be provided to each team?How many members can be there in a team?Do I need to be college student to participate in this event?Do we need to have the entire idea fully working?Is the dataset provided to the participant by the organizers?Is there reimbursement for travel?Since it is a 36 hour hackathon, do we have time to code for entire 36 hours?